The dreaded SR 22 insurance policy. Sounds expensive doesn’t it? Actually adding a SR 22 filing to your car insurance is not all that expensive. Pretty much anywhere you go it runs about $15 to $25 for a six month policy. Unfortunately here in Michigan, it’s the policy you are adding it to which costs so much.
Most people familiar with Michigan know car insurance is expensive around here. If you are required to file SR-22 paperwork on your car insurance policy, you are most likely a high risk driver. High risk drivers plus Michigan’s high cost no fault insurance equals a whole lot of money. Remember Michigan is “special” because we have unlimited medical coverage.
How Much Does a High Risk Michigan Car Insurance Policy Cost?
So many factors go into determining car insurance rates. It is seriously difficult, even more like impossible, to put an exact dollar mount on the cost. But if you are just dying for numbers without getting a quote, I’ll take a stab at it.
- Liability only: $100 to $140 a month
- Comprehensive: $25 to $100 a month
- Collision: $50 to $200 a month
Add up the max dollar amounts and that puts you at $440 a month for full coverage on a single vehicle! Could that be right? Well it could be, if you are a 21 year old with a DUI and a new BMW. Like I mentioned, a lot of factors go into car insurance rates. Your rate is probably not going to be the same as your friend’s. And like I mentioned, I’m just trying to put you in the ball park. Don’t hold me to it!
Getting an actual quote is the best way to determine your car insurance rate. The more information you provide the more accurate your quote. Time to fess up to any violations because you’re only delaying the inevitable. At the time of purchase, the insurance carrier will know all of your driving history.
What Have You Learned?
- Michigan car insurance is expensive.
- Michigan car insurance while being a high risk driver is very expensive.
- Insure your vehicle with liability coverage only to keep the cost down.
- Keep your car insurance in effect and keep your driving record clean to get off high risk status asap.
- How to Get Insurance Without a License in Michigan
- How to Get SR 22 Insurance in Michigan
- 7 Tips for Getting Car Insurance after a DUI